A Guide to Living in Your New Extension
What is a Home Extension & Why do People use Them?
If you are a typical homeowner, the first thing that comes to mind when you think of home improvement is a new paint color or clearing out the attic. But have you ever considered adding more space to your home?
A home extension is an addition that is added to the home. It could be a new living space, a bedroom, or even a garage. Home extensions are becoming more and more popular for people who want to increase the living space in their house. People might use them to get more space for their growing family, to increase their living area or so they don’t have to move from their current property.
In recent years, people have been using extensions for several reasons:
- To add more living space in order to cope with the needs of larger and larger families
- To update and modernize an old family home
- To create a split in the house.
The Process of Building a Home Extension from Start to Finish
A home extension can be a great way to increase the size and value of your home. But it’s important to make sure that you follow the legal regulations and get all the necessary permits before you start.
Building a home extension takes some time, so you’ll want to choose the best team for the job. You’ll need to start with a permit, which typically costs £150-£250 for areas within 5 miles of a town centre. Planning permission generally ranges from £500-£2000, but this will depend on where you’re building and what changes are being made to your home.
The next step in the process is to find out whether your property is eligible for an extension. The process of building an extension starts with submitting plans to your local council. You may need external help with this if it is not your first time extending your home – the council will be looking for evidence that it has gone smoothly in the past! If you are lucky enough to get approval straight away without any changes needing to be made, then congratulations! Your next step is choosing what type of extension you want, such as a loft conversion or an Orangery, and how much it will cost.
How Much Does a Home Extension Cost?
The average cost for an extension can vary depending on the type, which is why it is important to have a consultation with a home extension designer before getting started. The average cost of building a home extension is between $80 to $200 per square foot. The costs may range from $20,000 to $100,000 or more for large extensions.
The cost of an extension will depend on many factors that vary from project to project. To start, there are two types of extensions that homeowners might consider: an extension onto their existing property or a second-story extension. The costs will be different for each type and they can vary significantly depending on size and complexity.
Tips for Living in a Newly Built Home Extension
Living in a newly built home extension is an exciting and challenging experience. With that said, there are some things you need to consider before moving into your new house.
Here are a few tips for living in a newly built home extension:
- Don’t forget to check for any structural issues, such as cracks in the walls or the ceiling. If you see any, you will need to take care of them before moving in.
- Also, make sure that there is proper ventilation in your extension. The last thing you want during summertime is to have your house become a sauna because of an insufficient number of windows.
- Lastly, try to stick with what’s already there – at least for the first few months. This way you will be able to tell if anything needs fixing or replacing.
- The last thing you want is to be stuck with high utility bills because of something small that went unnoticed when you are unpacking your things.